A 59-year-old Caucasian woman was diagnosed with chronic hepatitis C, grade 3, stage IV (2012), genotype 1a. The mode of transmission is unknown (denies IVDA, history of blood transfusions, high risk behavior).
- Treatment #1: Triple therapy with (Peginterferon + Ribavirin) + Boceprivir (Victrelis®) (Jan 2013)
- Completed 6-month course of treatment
- Achieved sustained viral response (Dec 2013)
- Treatment #2: Sofosbuvir (Sovaldi®) + Ribavirin + Interferon (March 2014)
- Completed 12-week course of treatment
- Achieved sustained viral response (Nov 2014)
She was asymptomatic until blood work performed 7-months post-treatment, at which time she was incidentally found to have recurrence with a viral load of ~ 11 million IU/ml (Jan 2015).
The patient asks:
1. What are my treatment options?
2. Treatment #2 had high success rates in clinical trials and practice. Is there evidence that the next recommended treatment will work for a patient like me?