One in four adults in USA suffers from hypertension. In USA there are 50 Million people suffering from hypertension and most of them don’t even know about it.
2014 Center for Disease (CDC) report estimated that hypertension was a primary or contributing cause of death for more than 410,000 Americans which was more than 1,100 deaths each day and it costs the nation $48.6 billion each year.
2015 American Heart Association (AHA) report estimated that more Americans are dying from high blood pressure than a decade ago and is expected that 41% of U.S adults to have high blood pressure by 2030. It also claimed that hypertension death rate is probably related to factors plaguing many Americans — lack of physical activity, obesity and too much sodium.
AHA claims that a mere 10% increase in hypertensive treatment would prevent 14,000 deaths annually. They also claim from their research that by lowering blood pressure by just 5 points reduces the overall risk of death from any cause by 7%.
Hypertension can directly lead to other deadly conditions such as heart failure or kidney failure if it is not controlled.
We need a simple solution that allows people to
a) Become aware of the problem;
b) Perform the daily disease management with minimal help from healthcare system.
Solution – A closed loop system of IoT diagnostics device, IoT Pillbox and mobile application that performs the following tasks:
- IoT Diagnosis: allows patient to take BP measurement at a regular interval, e.g. once a day.
- Mobile App: This information is recorded via the mobile platform.
- Mobile App: provides alarms so that the patient takes the medication on time
- IoT Pillbox: sends messages to mobile app if the pillbox is opened and closed within 10 min (predetermined duration) of the alarm
- Mobile App: generates an SOS and sends message to a caregiver, if the patient misses 3 (predetermined number) consecutive medicine intakes
- Mobile App: provides a dashboard to patient with health status and medication intake and other useful details
End user cost of the solution: Hardware cost: ZERO. Subscription: 7 cents per day! (In case you are wondering, it is $25 per year).
Opportunities for collaboration with payers (insurance companies) and pharma companies to bring the solution to market. In fact the solution could very well connect with pharmacies for medicine refills.
Easy one-click social registrationIs this safe?
We only receive the minimum information necessary to verify your account. We never get access to your friends/contacts or your profile, and we never post on your behalf. Your social account is used for logging in only.ORRegister via email
Send me updates on this Contest
In order to ensure a fair voting process and to make sure that no one votes more than once, we ask that you register either with a social networking account (easiest, only requires one click) or by registering with your email address (this will require you to click on a verification email that we will send you).
You only need to register once.