Innovative Wellness Systems Inc. (IWS) is a biomechanical footwear and technology company developing a Biomedical Smart Insole (BSI) with biometric sensors and an integrated wellness ecosystem to detect, monitor, and prevent conditions conductive to the formation of Diabetic Foot Ulcers (DFU’s). This patent pending BSI innovation will deliver real-time actionable data as part of a closed loop continuous wellness improvement systems. The IWS team has over 30 years of footwear, technology, and medical experience to provide smart solutions for health and wellness problems as an integral part of the mobile health ecosystem.
“Complications of diabetes that affect the lower extremities
are common, complex, and costly.”
These words from a June 2017 New England Journal of Medicine article articulate that foot-related complications for diabetics create a wide range of negative outcomes and costs -- impacting patients, caregivers, healthcare professionals, hospitals, as well as private and government-sponsored healthcare insurance programs.
These four facts give evidence of the problem:
1. More than 30 million Americans have diabetes (9.4 percent of the entire U.S. population)
2. Up to 1-in-3 U.S. diabetics will develop a Diabetic Foot Ulcer (DFU) during the course of their disease – the most frequent type of diabetic foot complication.
3. 1-in-5 patients with a DFU will require one or more foot amputations.
4. Treatment of DFUs & other chronic complications represent a significant portion of the estimated $245 billion annual cost of diabetes, annual medical costs are running at 30+ billion per year.
IWS is developing a best-in class Integrated Wellness Ecosystem built on a Biomedical Smart Insole (BSI) containing biometric sensors to detect, monitor and prevent conditions conducive to DFUs and Peripheral Arterial Disease (including excessive temperature, pressure, friction, and gait/posture issues). Integrated into patient footwear, the patent-pending BSI wirelessly provides real-time alerts to patients for corrective action. The BSI also incorporates advanced orthotics design to provide biomechanical stabilization to reduce vector rotation, pressure, and friction. Specialty materials are also used to absorb and reduce the negative impacts of shock, pressure and foot motion. Through condition capture and data analytics, the BSI becomes part of a closed-loop Continuous Wellness Improvement system through the integration of an innovative Biomechanical Feedback Control System (BFCS) in association with the IWS Integrated Wellness Ecosystem.
IWS Innovation Creates Opportunity:
While patients currently use standard orthotics and shoes to help stabilize their foot conditions, those are passive systems. The IWS patent-pending BSI innovation can introduce the opportunity for the first active prevention of DFUs by capturing and delivering real-time actionable data linking the patient to the healthcare ecosystem. This in turn will improve patient comfort and outcomes, while reducing costs and the level of required medical resources for care.
IWS Users & Customers:
● Patients and families of patients at risk or with DFU's
● Employers that conduct employee wellness programs and who wish to reduce costs.
● Accountable Care Organizations (ACO's) doctors, hospitals, nursing homes, and other healthcare providers that treat DFU's
● Indirect customers: Private health insurance providers and Medicare, which together currently cover $30B+ in DFU associated insurance costs
IWS collaborates with university researchers, mobile digital health suppliers, footwear manufacturers, and other partners including:
Footwear Industry: Clarks & Rockport
Medicine: Partners HealthCare - Connected Health Center & Harvard Medical Faculty Physicians
Product Technology, Design & Manufacturing: IGetBetter, Inc., Innovative Product Solutions, NY Institute of Technology & UMass Lowell
Easy one-click social registrationIs this safe?
We only receive the minimum information necessary to verify your account. We never get access to your friends/contacts or your profile, and we never post on your behalf. Your social account is used for logging in only.ORRegister via email
Send me updates on this Contest
In order to ensure a fair voting process and to make sure that no one votes more than once, we ask that you register either with a social networking account (easiest, only requires one click) or by registering with your email address (this will require you to click on a verification email that we will send you).
You only need to register once.