Last updated on September 3, 2019
Medstro's goal is to connect physicians, medical students, medical researchers and other healthcare professionals to facilitate mentorship, collaboration and career development.
1. Information Collected
1.1 Minimum Required Information
In order for you to create an account on Medstro, you are required to enter your name, email address and whether you are a physician or a medical student. If you register for an account in response to an invitation from an existing Medstro user, then Medstro will automatically "connect" you with that user.
1.2 Information You Provide to Medstro
When we refer to "Information You Provide to Medstro" we mean any of the following:
- Information that you enter into web forms on the Medstro site, such as your profile information, status updates, job listings, etc.
- Information that you upload to the Medstro site, such as your profile photo, photos you post on your timeline and other files you upload to the site
- Information that you authorize us to access from other websites, such as your Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter profile information, contacts, etc.
By default, the information you provide to Medstro is visible only to you and to other Medstro users, with the exception of the following:
- Information that you have specifically designated as "Public" will be visible to anyone on the Internet
- Your name, job title, current employer, "tagline," specialty and profile photo are visible to anyone over the Internet. What this means is that this information might show up in a Google Search, for example. However, whoever clicks on the search result will not be able to see any additional information unless they are a member of Medstro, or you have designated that information as publicly visible. Medstro membership is limited to physicians and medical students only.
- Any information that you post to Medstro Groups or Medstro Pages that are designated as "Public". This information will be accessible to anyone on the Internet.
- If you list a job or research opportunity in the "Opportunities" section the title, description, job location and other information will be visible to anyone on the Internet. Your contact details will not be visible (unless you include them in the description or other public field).
1.3 Usage Information
In order for us to improve your user experience and understand what features of Medstro are most useful to our members, Medstro also collects information regarding how you use the website. This includes when and how often you log in to the site, which links you click and how often, what information you look at on Medstro and other usage metrics. We keep this information private and only disclose it to Medstro employees, contractors and affiliates who have a need to know the information in order to improve your experience on Medstro and provide you with information and features that are useful to you.
1.4 Third Party Information Collection
Some information posted on Medstro may be provided by "plug-ins" managed by third parties other than Medstro. Depending on the security settings of your browser, these third party plugins may access "cookies" on your browser in order to customize the information they provide to you and collect statistics on your usage and interests. Medstro is not responsible for the actions of any third parties. For a full list of third-party plugins used on Medstro, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
1.5 Information Submitted to Medstro from Third Party Sites
Medstro offers other websites the ability to embed Medstro "buttons" such as "Share on Medstro", "Like on Medstro", etc. When you use these buttons you understand that you are submitting information to Medstro just as if you were submitting it diretly on our website.
1.6 Using your Medstro Account to Log In to Third Party Sites
1.8 Web "Beacons" and Other Technologies
Medstro may display advertisements to you on our website that are customized for you based on information you provide us in your profile and your use of the Medstro website. These advertisements may be provided by several third-party online advertising networks and exchanges. These third parties may use technologies such as cookies, web "beacons", pixels and mobile identifiers. By using the Medstro website, you consent to the use of these technologies to provide you with customized advertising. You may choose to block these advertisements using an ad-blocker plug-in or extension in your browser.
1.9 Network and Device Information
Whenever you use the Medstro website, our computers automatically collect and store information in log files. These log files enable us to diagnose problems with our website and keep it secure. We may also use this information to customize your experience on Medstro (for example, by displaying relevant ads based on your location). Information that we collect can include, but is not limited to, the following:
- The date and time you access the website
- The IP address of your computer
- Your operating system
- Your web browser type and version
- Which website you came from
- What URLs you click on while on the Medstro website
- What URL you are directed to when you leave the Medstro website
- If you are viewing the Medstro website on a mobile device, we record the mobile device type, operating system, mobile device identifier and browser type/version
- If you have enabled location services, we may receive information about your physical location
1.10 Other Information
2. Your Use of Medstro is Voluntary
- We cannot delete your status updates, comments on other users' status updates or comments you make in groups because that may result in incongruities in discussion threads with other users. Your name, photo and the content of your updates or comments will remain on our website even after you delete your account.
- We reserve the right to preserve any other information that you have provided to us if deleting that information would impact the experience of other users of the website.
- We will preserve any other information as required by law.
3. Third Party Use of your Information
You understand that the information you provide to us is visible to other users of Medstro and could be used by them to infer other aspects of your life. For example, your profile photo could reveal your race and gender or a status update may reveal your physical location at a given date and time. By using Medstro and providing us with your personal information you consent that we have no control over how any third party may interpret or use this information and we are in no way responsible for any damages you may incur as a result.
4. Contractors and Affiliates
We may share your personal information with our contractors and affiliates in order to provide you with services and information customized to your interests.
5. Legally Required Disclosure
If Medstro is presented with a subpoena or court order of valid jurisdiction requesting information about you that we possess, or is otherwise required by law to disclose information about you that we possess, you consent to us disclosing that information to the minimum extent required by law. Where allowable by law, we will notify you of any disclosures under this clause.
In addition, you consent that we may disclose your information if that is required for us to:
5.1 Enforce our Terms of Service
5.2 Investigate and defend ourselves against any third-party claims or allegations
5.3 Protect the security or integrity of our service
5.4 Exercise or protect the rights, property, or safety of Medstro, our members, personnel, or other members of the public
5.5 Investigate or prevent suspected illegal activities or activities which could cause harm to the public
6. Users Outside of the United States
This Site is operated in the United States. By using our Site or providing us with your Personal Information, you are transferring your information to us in the United States where we collect, store and process that information. We may provide information to the United States government or its agencies under applicable law. We may process your information and transfer it to other countries where our staff or third-party service providers are located. By using this Site and Services, and/or submitting your Personal Information, you agree to this collecting, processing, and storing of your data to and in the United States.
Individuals Located in the European Union: Your Choices
If you are within the European Union or provide Personal Information through this Website while located in the European Union, you are entitled to certain information and have certain options under the General Data Protection Regulation (“GDPR”) related to your Personal Information.
If you consent to the processing of your Personal Information, you may withdraw that consent at any time. You are entitled to request additional specific information regarding the processing of your Personal Information, including requesting access to, correction of, and deletion of your Personal Information from our databases. You can also restrict the processing of your data and/or request that your information be provided in a portable format. You may also request that your data be transferred to you or a third party. You also have the right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority that has jurisdiction over issues related to the GDPR.
We may use your data for marketing purposes or disclose your information to any third party for such purposes with your consent that you may provide, for example by checking certain boxes on the forms we use to collect your data. You can also object to receiving further marketing at any time without detriment. We will inform you prior to collecting or using your Personal Information for any purpose not set forth in this Privacy Notice or previously consented to.
To update your preferences and consents, ask us to remove your information from our mailing lists or submit a request, you may contact us at via e-mail at email@example.com
7. Recruiter Services
We offer "Recruiter Accounts" to recruiters who seek to hire candidates for jobs. Recruiter Accounts allow recruiters to search for and contact Medstro users who match certain criteria, such as medical specialty, geographic location, etc. You can control whether and how recruiters may contact you in your privacy settings.
8. Change in Control or Sale of Medstro
We reserve the right to change the terms of this Agreement and will provide you advance notice if the terms change, by sending you an email to your email address as registered in your account profile, and by notifying you with a popup message the next time you log in. If you don't agree to these changes, you have the option to delete your account and stop using the website. We agree that changes cannot be retroactive.
10. Your Right to Know
You may request from us a disclosure of any information we have shared with third parties for direct marketing purposes in the preceding calendar year. You can make such a request once per year and at no cost to you by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
11. Limitation of Liability
You agree that you use the Medstro website voluntarily and that your use of the Medstro website is entirely at your own risk. You understand that there is always a risk that your personal information could be obtained illegally by "hackers" or other third parties, and you agree that Medstro, its officers, employees, shareholders, contractors and affiliates shall not be liable in any way for any damages, direct or indirect, that you incur as a result. Where local law does not allow such limitation of liability our liability shall be limited to the lowest amount allowed by local law.
You agree to indemnify and hold harmless Medstro, its officers, employees, shareholders, contractors and affiliates from any action arising from your use of the Medstro website.